A feeble attempt at defining everything. Made by me, Ben Valentine, mostly as a way for me to digest what I am learning from my blog, Contemporary Art Truck. The information is ever changing and will never be polished.

Define Art

So far Ben Davis has provided me the best definition of art I have ever heard:

"a privileged class of aesthetic objects and instances set apart from ordinary communicative acts, authored by a special person called an artist."
http://www.artnet.com/magazineus/reviews/davis/art-and-social-media8-4-10.asp


I would add that art cannot be mass produced or it becomes another object that was designed.

Important to note:
Fashion, design, craft, music, architecture, food, theater are all incorporating or moving into art.
Also: the difference between good art and bad art is much more complex.